Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Server/Waiter/Order Taker/Grunt

I have worked in the hospitality industry for over 20 years.  I have done most every job in hospitality- everything from washing dishes to being the GM of a restaurant.  My job titles have been varied.  Most recently, I have been working as a server and bartender while I continue to get full-time work.

Today, while at work, I was about to greet a table where the lady was talking on the phone.  Usually, greeting a table when someone on the phone can be dicey because a) you don't want to interrupt what might be an important call (if it was so important why did you take it in a restaurant when you knew you would be interrupted?) and b) you don't necessarily want to wait to greet them because they might be in a hurry (if you are in such a hurry, get off the phone already).  As I approached the table, she took her mouth away from the speaker and said in the most rude voice possible "Tell my 'Order Taker' I'll have a Diet Coke and the Kids Grilled Cheese.  And make it fast I am in a hurry."  Well, alrighty then...

I have been in this industry for a long time to know that there will be, on occasion, times where I am treated with little to no respect.  That I will be looked at as a simpleton just taking orders, communicating the order to the kitchen and bringing out the food and the check.  However, her attitude today was shocking to me for some reason.  No one has ever called me an "Order Taker" to my face before.  Made me feel pretty worthless as an employee just trying to make a few bucks.

I guess I see myself as more than just an "Order Taker."  I see myself as a "Provider of Guest Services," a "Gonna Make It Right For You," a "Make This Experience One We Will Remember."  I try to engage my guests when I serve them- find out about them, make the experience a good one, and try to make a few bucks at it.  The experience today set me into a poor mood and, obviously, is still bothering me.  My hope is that there are very few people out there who treat servers just as "Order Takers."  We may take your order, but that is not the extent of our job description.

2 comments:

  1. You are very right.some people out there think waiter just a person who puts their ordet on the table and clears the soils. They never know what it takes before doing a little thing on their tables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once servers start acting like the professional conductor of the guest's evening, they will be treated like that. So many are losing the art of waiting on the table, and just acting like "order takers" until they get a REAL job, that it comes through in their service....LOUDLY.

    ReplyDelete