Thursday, September 2, 2010

Restaurant Job Search Frustrations and How to Deal with Them

Wednesday, September 1, 2010, I was laid off from my restaurant job.  The restaurant closed and I received a call 90 minutes before my shift letting me know that I need not come in because the restaurant was closed for good.  This set off many emotions- sadness, frustration (this is the second time I was without a job in as many months), fear, anger and apprehension. 

I was sad because I was enjoying working for the restaurant (The Counter at Park Meadows Mall, Lone Tree, Colorado).  The people were nice and I was starting to get the hang of their unique way of doing things.  I was frustrated because I would again have to look for a job; having just gone through this a couple weeks prior.  I was fearful because I was, again, without a paycheck.  I was angry because I had started the job two weeks prior and I was certainly not expecting to be laid off.  I was apprehensive because I would have to go through the job search again and I hate looking for a job.

For those who don't know, the restaurant job search goes something like this: A restaurant will begin accepting applications at 2pm.  Go in any earlier and there is no way you are going to get the job because restaurant people are too busy to talk before 2pm.  The restaurant will stop taking applications at 4pm.  Go in any later and there is no way you are going to get the job because restaurant people are too busy to talk after 4pm.  When you go in, you are usually greeted by a host and you ask "Are you hiring?"  The host will reply with something like "We are always taking applications.

"We are always taking applications..." is a big frustration of mine.  Don't waste my time, your time and paper by having me fill out an application when you know good and well that you are not hiring but, rather, being polite.  Straight up tell me if you are or not.  If not, no big deal, I will move on to the restaurant next door.  If you are hiring, please make sure there is someone who is available to talk to me.  This is another frustration of mine- not having anyone to "sell" to.  Being a server or a bartender is all about selling yourself to the guest so you can sell them some good food and drink.  If I can't sell you "me," how am I going to sell your food?

My final frustration comes after the interview.  If I get an opportunity for a formal interview, let me know, either way, if I got the job.  It is common courtesy to call someone and let them know if they got the job or not.  Sure, I would have loved to get the job, but I don't want to go days and days without knowing.  Just tell me you decided to hire someone else or that I am not a good fit.  I am an adult, I can handle rejection.  Cowboy up and just tell me.

In review, here are my three frustrations and how to deal with them:
1. "We are always taking applications..."  If you are taking them, great.  If not, great.  Don't waste my time, your time and paper if you have zero plans on hiring me.
2.  If I take the time to fill out an application make sure there is someone for me to talk to so I can sell myself to them.  If there isn't anyone, have me fill one out at a later date.
3.  Whether or not I get the job, call and tell me.  I hate waiting and wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment