Wednesday, September 15, 2010

20 Secrets from Restaurant Kitchens- My Take

In an an anonymous survey by the U.S. Food Network Magazine, Chefs confessed their own peeves and sometimes surprising practices.  Having worked in restaurants for over 20 years, here's my take on the 20 secrets.  Though I am not a chef (by any means), I have spent good quality time on the line.

When they eat in somebody else’s restaurants, chefs say they steer clear of chicken and pasta, because they’re usually overpriced and the least interesting things on the menus.  “I won’t pay $24 for half a chicken breast,” said one chef.
 I only eat chicken and fish, so there is not much of an option for me.  However, I do see how chicken and pasta can be boring.

25% said they snatch up food that’s fallen on the floor and keep cooking it.
I have been really tempted to do this, especially when we are busy and I am in the weeds.  However, I have never done it.

Just three chefs confessed to recycling bread in bread baskets.
I used to work in a restaurant that did this.  Table bread would go into a giant basket to be used later or to be used for breadcrumbs.

Specials are experiments, not a way to get rid of ingredients, the chefs said. Only five contended they make up dishes to clean out the fridge.
I worked with a chef who used the leftover bread from previous days to make bread pudding and leftover meats as soup.  He rarely experimented with new products, just recycled old food to keep his costs down.

Several said they don’t get fresh deliveries on Sunday. So, yes, the rule about not ordering fish when you get out on a Sunday might hold water.
 Yeah, I never order fish on Sundays or Mondays, especially here in Denver.  If I were closer to the coast, I would consider it.

60% said customers who ask for substitutions are annoying. Particularly aggravating are customers who feign an allergy to get a substitution or vegetarians who bend their own rules, saying “a little chicken stock is okay.”
I disagree here.  If a guest wants something substituted then they should get it.  A restaurant has the ingredients so why not do it and do it with a smile?  The guest is paying good money for food and they should get it the way they want it.

15% said what’s listed as vegetarian on the menu might not be 100 per cent vegetarian. One chef claimed to see another cook toss lamb’s blood into a vegan primavera.
Tossing lamb's blood into a vegetarian dish is just mean.  Some people, especially people who have not eaten meat in years, will have serious digestive issues if they eat meat.  Be kind to the vegetarians and cook them the food the way they like it.

50% admitted to coming to work sick or staying at work after they’re injured. Many said they’ve cut themselves, gone for stitches and gone back to work.
For sure on this one.  In the restaurant industry, if you don't work you don't get paid.  I work sick and hurt all the time.  Just don't sneeze or cough in the food.


Nearly 60 per cent aspire to their own cooking show.
I can barely walk and talk at the same time.  How do you expect me to cook food and explain it to the camera at the same time?

95% admit they push waiters to promote certain dishes to customers.
Duh! Push the high margin items to guests- that is how a restaurant makes money.

A restaurant bottle of wine can cost 2.5 times as much as in the liquor store.
Duh! Push the high margin items to guests- that is how a restaurant makes money.

75% of chefs copy from other chefs’ menus.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  Why not copy something that is good and is successful?

Chefs are picky eaters. At the top of their least-favorite foods list are oysters, eggplant, tofu, sea urchin and liver. Just 15% said they’d eat any food.
 I'd have to agree here.  I like the food I like and do not, much, stray from the box I have put myself in.

Their favorite fast food chain is Wendy’s.
 Chik Fil A or Sonic for me.

71% of chefs will give restaurant critics gold-plated service when they recognize them, while only 63 per cent would roll out the magic for celebrities.
I agree with the restaurant critic- what they write can make or break a store.  However, I wouldn't know a restaurant critic if one walked into my house right now.  I have served and cooked for celebs- most are uptight, cheap and expect the world when they walk in.  Usually, celebs are a pain in the ass.

More than 50% have found customers up close and intimate in the restaurant bathrooms.
Totally.  I have seen, especially late night, seen a man and a woman walk into the same bathroom to get their freak on.

75% have spotted roaches in their kitchens; 85 per cent rate their kitchens 8 on a scale of one to 10 for cleanliness.
Sometimes, no matter how clean you are, bugs and critters can get in the restaurant.  Do what you can to mitigate and it can be taken care of.  There is food everywhere, for crying out loud, there are going to be bugs.


The best restaurant in the U.S. is French Laundry in California, the chefs agreed. They tip 20 per cent when they eat out, although 90 per cent said they’d tip less if the service was bad.
Never been to French Laundry, but will go one day.  I always tip at least 20% because I worked my tail off as a server and have gotten too many poor tips.  I understand what it is like to live off of tips, so I try to go above and beyond.


65% said they earn less than $75,000 a year for a 60 to 80 hour week and most work holidays.
The most I ever made working in a restaurant was $55k and that's only because I squeezed every dime from the franchisee.  I threatened to quit and he had no one else to manage, much less GM.  He basically had no choice.  I did earn it, though- 12-14 hour days for six days a week, all closing shifts.

Their least favorite holiday to work is New Year’s Eve, followed by Valentine’s Day. Although 54% are pleased when customers become engaged in their restaurant.
 NYE and Valentine's Day are amateur nights.  One is amateur night for drunks and one is amateur night for lovers.  Stay home with you adult beverage of choice, watch Ryan Secrest and go to bed on NYE.  For V Day, cook your lover something nice at home.  Go out the night before or the night after.

No comments:

Post a Comment