Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Amazing Meals I've Eaten

I saw this article in Saveur Magazine- 25 Greatest Meals Ever, and thought about what some of my greatest meals ever have been.  Some have been great food and wine alone, but some have been great food accompanied by an amazing situation.

Horseradish Crusted Atlantic Salmon- Pilot Pete's Restaurant, Schaumburg, Illinois
I don't remember the exact situation when I ate this for the first time, but I do remember making it many, many times.  I did an internship at Pilot Pete's in college.  Part of the internship was to work at each station in the kitchen.  This dish came from the Saute station.  The salmon would marinate in horseradish until ready to use.  Then, I would cover the salmon in panko and saute until I got a nice crust on either side.  Then, into the oven to finish.  While it was in the oven, I would saute some spinach, artichokes and tomato in a little olive oil and put onto the plate.  I'd top this mixture with the 2 salmon pieces and top everything with a beurre blanc.  I am salivating just thinking about this meal.  Though I served it many times for others, I do replicate it at home for guests.

Azteca Calamar- Tamayo, Denver, CO
 I love this dish.  I go to Tamayo (when I can afford it) and just order this dish to myself.  It is an ancho chile crusted calamari dish that is finished with a chipotle blood orange reduction.  Man is this good.  My wife and I went to Tamayo the first time while we were engaged and we were celebrating her birthday.  We shared the Azteca Calamar and then each of us had a dinner entree.  I have long since forgotten what my entree was because the appetizer was that good.

Breakfast Tostada- Don Emiliano Restaurant at the Riu Jalisco, Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Part of the reason this dish is so amazing was that it was my first adult vacation out of the country.  My wife and I took a delayed honeymoon to the Riu Jalisco resort outside of Puerto Vallarta.  It was all inclusive, we were there for 8 days and relaxed so much that I actually took 2 naps in one day.  My favorite meal of each day was breakfast.  They made these wonderful breakfast tostadas each morning- I must have had at least three a day.  It started with a warm corn tostada covered with refried beans, pico de gallo and guacamole On top of that was an over-easy egg (my favorite kind) and queso fresco.  The combination of flavors and the fact that I could see the ocean from the restaurant made this an amazing meal.

Look at your history.  Where did you eat an amazing meal?  What are some of the foods that give you comfort and make you smile when you think about them?  Please share some of your amazing meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment